Saturday, January 2, 2010

Excitement, or a lack thereof (7.24.07)

So, as summer comes to a close, I'm a mess of mixed emotions about how I feel in leaving Dickinson, possibly for good. On one hand, I'm excited for a host of things to come, but on the other, life in Dickinson isn't ALWAYS so bad. So without further ado....

I am excited for...
...watching the "hazing" of the new freshmen as they are forced to walk through the gates of NDSU while the Gold Star Band stands on either side of them playing the school song, while the rest of us clap because it isn't us this year.
...living in an apartment with the same name as my favorite summer program that takes place each June.
...not having to drive behind a car who is really taking the speed limit as more of a guideline as to how fast you COULD get up to if there were some sort of emergency.
...attempting to put to use all these things that I've been accumulating the entire summer just in case I might need them in my own apartment.
...actually attend Playmakers' this year without having something more important to do. (to be fair however, the reason we decided not to go only one weekend was actually pushing us to take her anyways, so it was my fault for deciding it was a bad idea)
...not be living with an entire dorm of girls who like to leave various things around the bathrooms including tampons, thongs, and my personal favorite, vomit.
...not having my mom take away my curfew only to say "Well, wouldnt you say you got home too late?" when I come home a half hour after my old curfew.
...having Tuesday mornings off until 3:30 PM...that means I have nothing to go to bed for on Monday nights. In fact, I could go to bed at 10AM and be good to go by 3:30.

I am not excited for...
...rent payments, car payments, utility payments and anything else that will suck my checking account dry each month.
...potentially having another lab partner who does each and every step even after the TA tells us to skip it, talks about her glory days in the Science Olympics, and loudly asks us if we have seen the movie "When a Sperm Meets an Egg" because it's probably better than Harry Potter.
...getting a parking permit in a parking lot that is nowhere near where I need to be in the middle of winter's subzero temperatures.
...leaving home and everyone I know here again. Goodbyes are certainly not my strong suit, and even with my family, I've had an amazing summer.
...cooking my own meals when it is clearly going to be a fire hazard for my three roommates.
...leaving Country House for possibly the last time. I love each and every resident very much, including the ones who pet my hair each time I am near them and exclaim what 'beautiful coloring' I have, the ones who go on midnight cookie raids, and the ones who walk up behind me, bark like a dog while grabbing my neck, and then laugh and walk away as I shriek very loudly.
...having to go to a different mass other than 7:30PM at Queen of Peace. Those homilies about baby birds dying on sidewalks were starting to grow on me. Also, if I go with Christa, we are going to end up getting kicked out at one time or another. (Monastery...it's still funny)

No comments:

Post a Comment